Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Summer Reading

I love reading! So, when I realized I would be in the car traveling for six hours at a time I was ecstatic because I knew I could get in some great reading time. I was correct. I read two complete books and am about half way done with the third.

The first book is a part of a series by Joanne Flunke. The books are a very quick read and easy to figure out "who dun it." That for me makes it more fun because I find myself yelling at the main character to not go to so and so's house because they are the murderer. Each of the books is filled with recipes! I am hoping to try some out but definitely need some places to dump cookies. I am sure my neighbors and maybe my mom's clinic will gladly accept some!

The next book was the most recent in the house of night series. I have written about this series previously and really enjoy reading them but I am astonished to see young children reading them. This most recent one really disappointed me because it not only had S-E-X scenes but the author also used the f word. In a book written for adults this still bothers me but I understand that sometimes that's the character that the author needs to portray. This book however is not a book for adults. This series is read by children that I know as young as fourth grade. I felt it was very irresponsible of the author to include the scene she did and the language that she did.

The last book I'm working on is called Mr. Peanut. It is really good and a little bit eye opening. Currently it's a did the husband kill the wife mystery but the difference so far is that it discusses in detail the reasons for killing a spouse and shockingly enough I can actually sympathize with the suspect. I heard about the book on NPR and so far I am well pleased.

I also read Nate the Great and Jigsaw Jones with the little man. He loved them both. Jigsaw is a second grade detective and I was surprised at some of the things the book talked about but, I'm sure I'm just naive about what second graders are like.

If you have any good book ideas or want my input on a book, let me know what it is...I will be reading a lot this summer!

No comments:

Post a Comment