Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Wool, Copper, and Desk Sets

In my previous blog you read about my fabulous dress shopping experience in search of the perfect dress to wear for my seventh anniversary.  Just over seven years ago I married my knight in shining armor.  I expected a fairytale life from then on and I can honestly say that the vast majority of our time has been just that.  We've had our fair share of trials and children definitely add a whole new depth to a relationship but, through it all we have persevered and will continue to grow together...hopefully!

This post will not however be all about the mushy, gushy, how much we love each other business.  This post is all about the seventh anniversary date and the seventh anniversary gift.  Did you know that wool, copper, and desk sets are the suggested seventh anniversary gifts?  As my facebook friends know, I was having a terrible time deciding which dress to wear.  I posted pictures and got mixed responses though most of them leaned toward wearing the black one for the date.

I woke up Sunday morning with an ingenious idea.  I would wear both dresses...not at the same time of course because that would look silly.  I would wear the yellow dress to church and our lunch with my parents, then transition into the black dress for a night on the town.  It was the perfect plan!  I should have known as soon as I said, "this is perfect" that it would not be quite so perfect.

Everything went exactly as planned until about 9:30 am when we arrived at the church for Sunday School.  I got out of the car and was greeted by my least favorite aspect of Oklahoma...everyone altogether now...THE WIND!!!  My car door blew open so hard that it left a big scratch on the car next to me. (I hope that person doesn't read my blog.)  I could barely keep my below knee length skirt from pulling a Marilyn Monroe on me.  In fact, I probably could have taken a picture exactly like that.  After hurrying into the church with the skirt of my dress pulled as tightly to my body as possible, I was greeted with an office full of huge eyes.  Did I have gravy or fruit loop dust all of my dress already?  No one said anything, so I scurried into Andy's office and did a quick look over.  Nothing on the dress, all important parts of the body were covered, no marker or huge mascara lines on my face.  Hmmmm.  A few minutes later after walking the Little Man to his class one of the church members came up and said, "you look absolutely breathtaking."  I was stunned but managed a very shy thank you and proceeded to go hide in the youth room and eavesdrop on the revelations discussion on of the Sunday school classes was having.  Dead horses...really? 

After church we spent a couple of hours at my parents having an early Memorial Day lunch because my dad had to work on Memorial Day.  Andy took a picture of me in the yellow dress and you can see how windy it is:

We went back home to prepare for the evening.  At this point I still don't know where we are going for dinner or what we are doing afterwards.  The anticipation is killing me.  My mind was in full on hyperactive mode.  "Maybe we're going to the Melting Pot, he said that was on his radar.  Or maybe we're going to Hastings, I've been talking about how much I want to go there, or maybe he's taking me to Cafe Nova, we haven't been there in a while, or maybe he's taking me someplace new that we haven't been to.  No I bet he's taking me to Melting Pot, but maybe..." and so on all afternoon.  (You have to read that part with a really fast, high pitched voice to get the full effect of my brain that afternoon.)

As I was getting dressed, I realized I had a problem.  I didn't have a purse to go with my dress.  Either I was buying a something or I was going without a purse.  Well, my knight didn't want to carry my phone, ID, gum, lipstick, and cash so I opted to buy a nice little purse to go with the dress.  Actually I matched the purse with my sunglasses that are super glam.  I couldn't believe that I found the exact shade I needed.  I did run into a problem upon entering the car after my super find.  My short little skirt on my perfect black dress was definitely going to fly up if I was outside for any length of time.

We ended up eating at Deep Fork Grill which was amazing.  We got a wonderful parking spot which was crucial in me not mooning the entire parking lot with the strong wind working against my quest for perfection.  The chef sent out complimentary chicken bruschettes and our waitress brought out complimentary strawberry cake which was by far the most moist cake I have ever eaten.  Upon finishing dinner Andy informed me that his plan would not work because of the wind.  He had planned to spend an hour or so walking around Bricktown before seeing a late movie but with the wind that was a no go.  So, instead we went down to a very secluded location for a photo op of me in my black dress:

 After a couple of quick photos before the security guards got any sneak peaks, we drove home to watch some TV and change clothes, again, for the movie.  I opted for my favorite holey jeans with an incredibly soft t-shirt that could have been used in the movie Footloose.  We watched bridesmaids which was just the right amount of crude humor for me.  I understood most of it and thought there were some incredibly funny parts.  I actually laughed out loud... a lot.  I was a huge fan of Dougie's sister on the airplane and loved that they gave her character some depth to pull the main character out of her depression.  I also loved that the will they won't they love interest was just some average policeman.

At about midnight we arrived back home, I crawled in bed with a still very full tummy and slept until 8 am thanks to Mimi and Papa who had a sleepover with this kids.  It was a fabulous day.  The weather was gorgeous if you forgot about the wind.  For a few short hours I was able to actually let go of my need to control everything and have some planned and unplanned fun with the man that I love.  It reminded me a lot of when we were dating, a feeling that I've been missing lately.  That pretty much sums up the seventh anniversary date for you.  Yeah for seven years of marriage!  I can't wait to see what the next 60 bring us!

1 comment:

  1. you looked fabulous, dahling!
    I bet your husband looked spiffy , too!
    nanci

    ReplyDelete