Monday, February 14, 2011

Valentine's Dinner

So my husband did something tonight that he has never done for me before.  He made Valentine's Day dinner...from scratch using his own created/adapted recipe.  It was so amazingly delicious that I decided I had to share it.  We had steak, augratin potatoes (from a box), mixed vegetables, and corn bread (from a box).  Everything was scrumptious.  So here are the recipes:

 Andy's London Broil
 2 lb boneless Top Round Steak
1/4 C balsamic Vinegar
4 cloves of pressed garlic (his term was crushed but crushing the garlic sounded kind of violent)
2 T evoo (Extra Virgin Olive Oil...I think he's been watching Rachel Ray)
Salt and Pepper to taste (lots)

Mix EVOO, Balsamic, and Garlic
Poke steak with a fork on both sides a whole lot
Poor mixture over steak and flip it twice to coat the entire steak
Let sit for 1 hour in the fridge
Preheat oven to broil
Remove steak from marinade and place in a clean dish to broil
Shake generous portions of salt and pepper on both sides
Broil 7-8 minutes per side
Core temperature should be 130-135 degrees Fahrenheit
Slice thinly (1/4 - 1/2 inch) at an angle and serve IMMEDIATELY
Do Not offer steak sauce...it should be sumptuously juicy!!!
Might look something like this:

















Andy's Sauteed Crunchy Veggies
1 Cup Carrots
1 Cup Green Beans
1 Cup Sugar Snap Peas
3 T balsamic vinegar
1 T honey
1/2 tsp brown sugar
2 pinches of dried minced onion

All veggies must be fresh not canned
Cut veggies into bite size pieces and place in a saute pan
Mix balsamic, honey and brown sugar in with the veggies and saute on high until veggies are tender but NOT soft or mushy

So, feel free to try these recipes out and let me know what you think.  Of course, we thought they were delicious and I can't wait for my husband to cook them again!  I hope everyone had a fabulous Valentine's Day!  I love any reason to tell people how much I love them!

4 comments:

  1. Cornbread from a box is the only way to fly: Jiffy style.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with Andy, you can't go wrong with the Jiffy cornbread!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fabulous! the only thing missing was a nice Italian Margarita and what was for dessert?
    Love, nanci

    ReplyDelete
  4. Especially when you add a little extra sugar (momma's secret!)

    ReplyDelete