Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Snowy Days

I absolutely LOVE snowy days!  I guess growing up in Oklahoma for 90% of my life caused me to think that snow only happens on very rare occasions.  I only remember a couple of big snows in my time here in Oklahoma and they were the most glorious times.  When I was in the fourth grade I remember getting an absolutely huge amount of snow.  It must have been at least two or three feet...though it seemed at the time to be way more than that.  My brother and I spent as much time as possible building forts and something that somewhat resembled an igloo.  I remember spending 30 minutes outside at a time and coming inside, stripping down to our long underwear and leaving all of our sopping wet snow gear on top of the vents to dry out while we drank hot chocolate and watched TV.  My brother and I had a blast (maybe one of the only times we spent an entire day without getting into an argument).  Now, as a mom...I think it's even better than being the kid.  Experiencing the joy and excitement of playing in the snow through my son's eyes was enlightening.  I had so much more fun, explaining how snow forms, how the drifts form, and why we don't eat yellow snow.  I loved providing the new experiences for my child like making snow ice cream and ice slides.  It reminded me to see everything in amazement.  Even though I have always marveled at snow, it is even more amazing now through the eyes of my three year old.

No comments:

Post a Comment